Our lives revolve around food. We nourish our bodies with it, but we also celebrate, entertain and express affection with it. So it’s no surprise that we all want the healthiest, freshest, best-tasting food.
Here are some great reasons to consider growing your own produce or buying local:
- It can be better to your bottom line. Growing your own food or buying from local farmers and suppliers can be much cheaper than the regular supermarkets.
- It supports the future of our local farmers. The stronger our local farms, the more we ensure local produce can be grown for generations to come.
- It promotes bio-diversity. Farmers that sell at markets and provide for local restaurants have the support they need to raise more types of produce
- It promotes cultural diversity. Recipes from different heritages can still be honored and prepared fresh.
- It empowers shoppers. We get to learn something new about our food, including when the freshest produce is in-season.
- Its great for the family. Growing your own food or buying from the local farmers is a great activity for the whole family.
- It tastes better. Local foods taste better because they are in-season, recently harvested and didn’t have to travel far to get to our plates.