At Grub Street we make lots of our own yummy jams and different relish for our dishes. In fact our flavours have become so popular that we also sell small and large take home jars for you to use with your own cooking.
Making jam and relish is fun and an activity you can do with family and friends. So in the interest of sharing and caring here is a simple recipe for tomato relish to try at home.
2kg ripe tomatoes
500g brown onions
¹⁄³ cup salt
1 litre white or brown vinegar
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1-tablespoon curry powder
2½ tablespoons plain flour
- Combine tomato, onion and salt in a glass or ceramic bowl. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Drain liquid from tomato mixture. Transfer to a large pot. Add vinegar to just cover the mixture. & boil for 30mins.
- Add sugar. Stir to combine. Boil again for 30mins. Stir a lot.
- Blend mustard powder, curry powder and flour with ½ cup of the liquid from the tomato mixture.
- Combine into the large pot. Simmer for 15 mins or until it has thickened slightly. Remove from heat.
- Carefully transfer mixture to hot sterilised jars Warning: hot contents, please be very careful- this part isn’t for kids.
- Store in a cool, dark place. Once opened, store relish in the fridge for up to 1 month.