Shrove Tuesday is known as Pancake Day in Australia. Tuesday, February 28, 2017.
Pancake Tuesday is a tradition borne out of households cooking pancakes the day before Lent begins.
Various charities now run fund raising events on Pancake Tuesday making and sharing pancakes with proceeds going towards various causes.
A good pancake is a thing of beauty. It's crispy at its edges and pillow-soft in its middle. There are lots of great recipes for pancakes but the real secret is in the technique. Here are some our Chef’s secrets to making fantastic pancakes:
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in one bowl.
- Whisk wet ingredients separately together in another bowl.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into the dry.
- Stir gently with a spoon or spatula to combine until ingredients are just moistened.
- Don’t over mix, because the gluten in the flour starts to develop as soon as liquid touches it, and the more you mix, the tougher the gluten becomes. Tough gluten makes for tough pancakes.
If you're too busy to make your own pancakes this Pancake Day come down and try ours - Every day is Pancake Day at Grub Street.